Remediation May Save Your Artwork
If your home in Burning Tree, OK shows signs of mold growth, your may think you will have to toss all your precious memorabilia, artwork and other personal treasures. While in some cases, such as flooding, that may be the best option, if caught quickly, mold cleaning may allow you to salvage your belongings.
Where Did the Mold Come From?
While it’s easy to figure out how the problem occurred if you have experienced some type of flooding and belongings are near the floodwaters, if your mold damage occurs on a painting hanging on the wall, you may be taken aback at how that is even possible. Mold requires moisture to grow, but sometimes that moisture isn’t always noticeable. Signs of potential hidden mold may include:
- Lingering musky odors in areas with no visible water damage.
- Wall paint is cracked, peeling, discolored or bulging.
- Homes with previous water damage may still be harboring mold.
Can Paintings Be Cleaned?
A mold cleaning professional is the best place to start to access mold damage. If mold is caught quickly, you can eliminate its ability to spread. When it comes to delicate artwork, mold remediation in this sense often requires gentle diligent work.
It is important to remember that different types of paintings will require different approaches. Durable oil paintings may not react well with certain chemicals. Acrylics and watercolors are easier to damage. Whether it is on canvas, paper or hardboard also need to be considered. Tips to remember before the cleaning process include:
- Plastic or cloth coverings should be immediately removed to allow the painting to dry and reduce mold growth.
- If framed, remove the artwork and clean the frame and glass. For canvas prints, inspect and clean the stretcher while avoiding touching the actual painting.
- Based on the type of painting, cleaning methods will differ. Dry mold can be carefully brushed off, but may leave spores. Some kind of cleaning agent will need to be used. Once you’ve determined the best solution, test an area to ensure no further damage occurs.
While mold cleaning on priceless treasures can be tedious, salvaging them is worth the effort. If you aren’t uncomfortable or unsure how to approach the task, there are experts that are Here to Help.